Sisterlock Adoration: Finding True Hair Freedom

This blog mostly follows my hair transition to Sisterlocks(TM), but it also gives me an outlet for my occasional social commentary. I always look forward to hearing from you about my hair or my diatribes. Thanks for visiting! ***BTW- Please do not copy my pictures without permission.***

Friday, January 18, 2008

IS THAT DREADS IN YO HAIR?

This is the question that the girl at the McDonald's (yes, one of my many bad habits)drive thru window asked me as I collected my lunch this afternoon. Okay, so putting the bad grammar and all else aside, I now ponder how I should have answered. Let's take a look at the options:

1. I could have launched into a long spiel about Sisterlocks and my personal journey right there in the drive thru line, despite the 5 cars behind me. I mean it's not like we all weren't on one hour lunch breaks anyway. What's a few extra minutes?

2. I could have given her the index finger(meaning just a second or in some cases, "Excuse me for walking through the santuary in the middle of the prayer/sermon at church"-LOL,I just felt the need to be extra thorough in my definition here) and pulled into a parking spot, gone into the restaurant and proceeded to give her and all the Sistas and Brothas working and dining there (plus any one else interested, since I try not to discriminate) a 30 minute overview of the merits of Sisterlocks and natural hair all together. This could have included an opportunity for all the FRESHLY gloved folks ONLY, particularly the woman with the 10 inch long purple weave I noticed standing by the fry machine, to actually touch my hair and ask questions about it. Wait, I think the board of health might have a problem with the whole food and unnetted hair thing. But I disgress....

3. I could have said "yes, actually, they're Sisterlocks" and drove off without any further explanantion, leaving me to ponder for the rest of the afternoon if I'd done the right thing...

So, what did I do? Number 3 unfortunately, and the result is this foolish post that you are so graciously reading right now (thanks:0)!

And as pointless as you've probably realized this post is, I wonder whether there is indeed a social or societal obligation to give as much information as possible whenever somebody asks about our hair. I mean isn't it our collective responsibility to try to save every fried, dyed and laid to the side haired Sista or Brotha from that awful fate? Just wondering...

15 Comments:

Blogger Cluizel said...

Lol...but I seriously think about whether I should be a little more descriptive when someone asks about my hair. Sometimes I don't even tell the person I have Sisterlocks...just leave it at "dreads" and go about my business...

But I suppose I am just lazy :-) the blog is enough for me...hopefully I will get better

9:17 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

I usually educate ppl because I want them to know there is another hairstyle option. I refer them to sisterlocks.com and tell them they are small dreads. I am just now visiting your sitte, and I love it. Your wedding photos were adorable. Lovely locs!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Journeii said...

Sometimes I don't know what to say when people ask me if I have dreads. I hate the term because of the history of the word. However, I don't feel it's always appropriate to explain that I have Sisterlocks. For the most part I say yes I have locks.
People usually start out with your dreads are to small and tell me I will have to combine them. That's when I can say I have Sisterlocks and....blah, blah, blah

9:06 PM  
Blogger Journeii said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post was funny! Since I don't have sisterlocks, but small locks I feel free to say yes the "are those dreads" question and keep it moving. However if they comment further about them then I tell them they should look into sisterlocks because that is the locking method that I was inspired by.

I have also felt at times like I should offer more info, but then I don't want to watch their eyes glaze over once I get started (hehehe)

9:26 PM  
Blogger z said...

Thank you for the comment. In your case, what I usually do is just reply the same way, "Yes, and they are called Sisterlocks", but then give them a moment to make the next statement which is usually 1 of 2 things: 1) They are beautiful. or 2) I was thinking about going natural, could you suggest any ideas?

I'm more than happy to share but i've also realized that when people ask me if I have locks, it's because of their curiosity, and to me that means they are open to understanding to a degree about natural hair. I understand you were in the drive through but you never know what can come out of an extra 7-10 sec. conversation. :-) Beautiful locks btw.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Cashana said...

I tend to just say yes, they are Sisterlocks. I will only going into more in depth if they ask me questions, which isn't often. Most people are curious because my hair looks like tiny twists. Plus, as much as I want everyone to wear their natural hair - it is not my decision to make for them. But I do tend to point out how healthy my natural hair is now w/o a perm.

10:27 AM  
Blogger OnyxCherry said...

I feel you. I love my hair but I'm so over explaining it to people. So I simply say "Yes, they are Sisterlocks. You can see more pictures of women with hair like mine at Sisterlocks.com." And just like that with two fingers and a shake, I continue on my way.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Amina said...

I've tagged you! Share your weirdness! Be free!

9:46 AM  
Blogger NappTown said...

I feel you but I sometimes go into to much detail with people. I bet the wish they had never even asked me. LOL! I feel like a spokes person for Sisterlocks sometimes. I am sure there will come the day when enough will be enough and I will get tired of explaining but right now I just go on and on and on......LOL! by the way you have been tagged!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

You've been tagged! Go to my blog to find out what to do. It'll open up a whole new world of SL bloggers to you. It sure has for me!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Lakia said...

I probally would have doe #3 aswell for two reasons:
1. I would have been hungry as hell

2. Trying to explain what sisterlocks were would have left her with a WTF expression on her face.

LOL!!

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!! For the first 6 months of having Sisterlocks I would go into detail. After that I started saying they were locks and left it at that. I was always hesitant of hearing their next statement, which could have been:
1)Ooohhh I like them so much, how much were they?
2)They're too small and you know they're going to break off?
3)What made you decide to get locks?

Of which all responses would have taken so much more time then I would have preferred....Now if it's someone genuinely interested I will go into further detail but most are curious like Cashana said...

7:08 AM  
Blogger SeZ said...

Can a sista just have her food :-)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Maryee said...

I usually, according to how much time I have, ask them if they have internet access and then tell them to google Sisterlocks. Other times, I'll send them to my website and if they SEEM like they can receive heavier info on the spot, I'll share more, if I have the time. Good post!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home