Sisterlock Adoration: Finding True Hair Freedom

This blog mostly follows my hair transition to Sisterlocks(TM), but it also gives me an outlet for my occasional social commentary. I always look forward to hearing from you about my hair or my diatribes. Thanks for visiting! ***BTW- Please do not copy my pictures without permission.***

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Photos Copied on a Sisterlock Website Without Permission

All,

Much to my surprise during a search for Sisterlock updos last week, I came across photos from Blaqkofis, Creyole's and my blogs. While the site's owner clearly had good intentions (showcasing different Sisterlock looks), I was shocked and dismayed that I wasn't given as least a courtesy e-mail to ask my permission to use the photos. My e-mail is listed on my blog, so there is no reason why this simple courtesy could not have been given. I noticed that some folks have notes on their blogs that ask that photos not be used without permission, but I always thought that was understood. Obviously not...I'm not really upset, but I just feel a bit disappointed. Any thoughts on how this can be judiciously handled.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, this is HaveNCredible from daylightondemand.org. I think the way to handle the situation is to be direct, which I am sure you are capable of. Now, although there is a certain courtesy that is supposed to be commonly understood, you have to understand that everyday people are starting new sites and they have to be oriented to professionalism.

Nobody sits anybody down, like when you get a driver's license, to tell them the facts of life regarding intellectual property. Be firm but not preachy and maybe refer them to http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd for the latest info on 21st century copyright issues.

Also if their site is otherwise decent, you might want to satellite them.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Lakia said...

Whoa!... well I think HaveNCredible gave some good advice there. But last night I was on line and I googled "sisterlocks" and "hair color", because I wanted to see pictures of other sisterlock wearers with color. I think I might have stumbled across the site you are referring to. I saw in the gallery a lot of the bloggers pics, and you would think that the person would have asked for permission. Make sure you place a disclaimer on your blog that states "Do not copy my pictures without permission".

9:57 PM  
Blogger Creyole said...

I had no idea! Can you send me the website link off line?

I've had to address this kind of issue before and I don't mind if commom courtesy is given. Especially if it's used to sell or market any items or services.

2:32 AM  
Blogger brunsli said...

I've had this happen to me and someone else too. I addressed it by sending a polite email to the blog owner to please take them down, and she responded quite rudely.

Although it's easy to copy photos, and it may be done as a compliment, it's an act of copyright infringement. Photos are copyrighted unless they are actively put into the public domain, so it's a matter of law, not courtesy.

Of course, courtesy is less expensive and friendlier to enforce than law.

Let us know how it turns out please.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, whose site is this? Is it a SL Website or Web-Blog?

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you lot keep putting your pictures and private life all over the net then there are poeple out there who would copy photos so dont do it

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think that you should get too upset about your pictures being used. i found your blog through google. if you go to google and type 'sisterlocks' into the image search your pics show up. the person who 'borrowed' your images may have found them that way and didn't know you required permission to use them. now that they are on the world wide web they are kind of 'up for grabs', you know? just be careful about what you share since it is difficult to control where they go.

by the way, your hair is beautiful!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said anonymous 1 and 2, its true if you sell your pictures and entire lifestyle in a blog on the web then you are open to this kind of thing.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home