Sisterlock Adoration: Finding True Hair Freedom

This blog mostly follows my hair transition to Sisterlocks(TM), but it also gives me an outlet for my occasional social commentary. I always look forward to hearing from you about my hair or my diatribes. Thanks for visiting! ***BTW- Please do not copy my pictures without permission.***

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Still Trying to Kick the Kink:The debate about the future of African American hairstyles is flaring up again

Hey guys,

My fiance sent me this article which piggybacks on a post that AllyH20 wrote back in February or so about the ban of "black hairdos" such as braids, or dreads at black institutions/corporations such as Hampton University (business program) or Black Enterprise. It's a good read. Should we be planning a protest or better yet a boycott of some type?!!!! This is crazy.

See an abstract from the article below...

July 12 2006
WHEN I WAS young, one of the first things I learned about myself was that I had "good" hair. It was curly and close enough to the texture of a white person's hair to not need pressing, hot-combing, greasing or some other method of straightening that extremely curly black hair — also known as kinky or "bad" hair — needed before it could venture out in public. Yet even my hair was not quite good enough. The complete article can be viewed at:http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-oe-kaplan12jul12,1,672823.column?coll=la-news-columns Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article. I am in the middle of trying to obtain a position in what is said to be an extremely conservative culture. I have even donned a wig at times to avoid "hair" issues. However things are starting to look favorable for me and my locks (-:
I posted about it on my blog.

4:51 PM  
Blogger NappyTexanGirl said...

I will be sisterlocked by GiGi Oct. 12 & 13 also. After 6 weeks of waiting because of her busy schedule, I will soon meet sisterlock destiny. I am from Dallas by the way. Your hair looks gorgeous...

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wearing braids for about 10 years and will be Sister Locked in October. I currently work as a designer in a furniture showroom. Although, I am not in a corporate setting, many of my clients are upper middle class and white. I expect to get some looks and maybe even questions once I'm locked but whatever. I answer to God and don't owe anyone else an explanation. I wear my hair the way I do because I can.

I believe that we should proudly wear our hair in whatever style/manner we choose. I also believe no other ethnic group of people is expected to change their natural hair texture and to expect it of us is an outrage!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home