Sisterlock Adoration: Finding True Hair Freedom

This blog mostly follows my hair transition to Sisterlocks(TM), but it also gives me an outlet for my occasional social commentary. I always look forward to hearing from you about my hair or my diatribes. Thanks for visiting! ***BTW- Please do not copy my pictures without permission.***

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sisterlock Event



Hi Everyone,

I attended the Platinum Grits event with Sisterlock creator, Dr. JoAnne Cornwell yesterday morning. The event was a lecture/book signing hosted by a wonderful grassroots women's network. It was nice to finally meet Dr. Cornwell personally and get to know the Dallas Sisterlock community a little more. The event had a great turnout.

The agenda included a viewing of Dr. Cornwell's response to Chris Rock's Good Hair. Dr. Cornwell completed a short lecture and then opened the floor to Q&A. I was really impressed by the intellect of the sisterlock community. I learned a great deal more about the politization and socialization of black hair.

During the Q&A, I stood up and introduced myself, noting that I'd been sisterlocked for 31/2years and that despite the fact that I love my hair to death, sometimes I found myself in the little bit of a rut, and given how long Dr. Cornwell had had sisterlocks, she'd probably experienced a similiar feeling at points during her journey.

To my dismay, she completely disagreed, saying that she NEVER ever got into a hair rut. She emphatically expressed that she never tires of her hair and didn't feel that the maintenance is cumbersome at all. She also noted that both me and my hair were lovely, and suggested that I look into color, cut or new styles.

I realized that perhaps I didn't effectively communicate what I meant. I guess I was just wanting to feel that it's ok to LOVE your locks but not like everything about the day-to-day maintenenceof the sisterlock lifestyle.

I mean the woman has like 4 feet of hair. That has to be a bit cumbersome to wash and retighten. Otherwise, Dr. Cornwell must have lots more free time than I do, or if not, she needs to at least share her easy hair maintenance secrets...Perhaps she just felt inclined to tow the company line...

What do you think ladies?

Overall, I loved the event and look forward to the start of formalized Sisterlock chapters as mentioned by Dr. Cornwell.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gigglz said...

Although you may not have expressed yourself the way you meant to, I think that Dr. Cornwell had to respond to you in that manner. She is the creater or this method so she has to defend it tooth and nail for any opposition. However, I think that she should have noted that no, not everyday she is ecstatic about her locks because it can become cumbersome as any hairstyle and its natural to feel that way. She could have then noted, like for most of us although we may get in a rut we still would not go back to the alternative of perms, weaves, or maybe even natural loose hair.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Ha! I think we all get into a rut of tedious maintenance as any hairstyle requires maintenance. I know I do. I have had problems in the past with getting retightenings. I am so happy that I found an awesome SL consultant. I am always searching for quick styles as of late too. Spending hours curling and braiding doesn't sound like fun to me although I love the result.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but you look beautiful and so does your hair. And I love the turquiose necklace. That's hawt.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:26 PM  
Blogger JennRene Owens said...

yes. it's cumbersome. i think that's when i realize i must be a bit more versatile. versatility helps. so does innovativeness. have you heard of www.nappturality.com? good site.
JenRene

12:39 AM  
Blogger SisterlocksMD said...

I attended a book signing event recently with Dr. Cornwell also. If you read her book, you can see where she is coming from. She has always loved hair and had a passion for it, and she is constantly playing in her hair (even while speaking to us :-)). So, maybe she is being honest with you. Her styling is also easy because she only does bantu knots...she said her hair is too long for rods.

That said, everyone doesn't have the same passion for hair as she does, so naturally you may have some days when you are in a rut. For some of us (pointing finger at myself), having to do anything to our hair is too much. I remember the day I didn't have to braid and band anymore and I was escatic! I mean it took me a half hour to braid and I wash my hair every week.

I think she gave you good suggestions. Try a cut, color, or new style. If you keep your hair maintenance on a regular schedule (4 - 6 weeks), it won't be as tedious because there won't be as much new growth to get done.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

My two cents: either Dr. Cornwell knew what you meant but wanted to keep the talk on Sisterlocks positive or she truly loves her Sisterlocks and doesn't view what I would consider tedious to be a problem.....I agree with you in that you don't have to like everything about something to love it and keep at it.....Sisterlock chapters? Now THAT sounds like fun!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Detra said...

I love my kids to death...but they get on my nerves sometimes.

I love chocolate..but if I eat too much of it, I get sick.

I love my sisterlocks, but sometimes I get in a rut about them....

I am speaking the TRUTH.

Do not at all, feel alone about how you sometimes feel about your locks, its NATURAL to feel dismayed.

You are beautiful and so are your locks and when you feel a bit dismayed about them, call or text me for support.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home